Cranberry & Roast Duck
Roast Duck, Vanilla Mash with Lime and Orange Jus
- 4 Duck breasts
- 500ml Duck Stock
- 250ml Red wine
- 250ml cream
- 3 Potatoes boiled and mashed
- 1 vanilla pod 20g butter
- Zest of 1 Lime and 1 Orange
- Reduce red wine by ½ and add duck stock.
- Add the zest and duck stock and reduce until it coats a spoon.
- Scrape the seeds from the vanilla pod and add to the mash along with the cream and butter and heat gently whilst occasionally stirring with a spatula.
- Sear the duck breasts skin side down in a hot frying pan until skin is golden; turn duck breast over and seal the other side.
- Roast the duck breasts at 190 c for 6 mins.
- Rest the duck breast for 5 mins before carving.
- To serve spoon mash into the middle of the plates and arrange the carved duck breast on top of the mash. Spoon over the sauce and drizzle around the plate
Reasons for Pairing:
- Orange and cranberry long recognised combination
- The acidity in the cranberry helps digest the fat of the duck ( much like mint sauce and lamb)
- This dish has a lot of acidity so the sweetness of the vanilla in the mash is needed to balance the dish